Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Chapter 4 "The Learning Environment in a Differentiated Classroom"



At the beginning of the school year, I like to read the book HOORAY for Diffendoofer Day! by Dr. Seuss. This book is a great way to begin a discussion about how everyone is different, teachers and students. The students then create a self portrait and write a paragraph that tells 3-5 facts about themselves. Afterwards, we take turns, each student sharing their picture and paragraph.


Next, I ask the students to remember a time when they got hurt. Then I call up one student at a time to come share what and/or where they hurt. As the students share with me (& and the rest of the class) I place a Band-Aid on the back of their right hand. I do this no matter what each student tells me. Every student gets a Band-Aid except for the last one. I share with that student that I don't have any for him/her. We discuss "why do you think I gave almost everyone a Band-Aid? - on the same spot for each hand? Did the Band-Aid help anyone feel better? Would it help if you had a headache or broken bone?" Afterwards, I introduce "Differentiation" and we discuss how each student has different learning needs. Throughout this school year some students will need to meet in small groups, other students will need to work with a partner, and other students will need to meet with the teacher one-on-one. There are students who leave the classroom to meet with other teachers to get the help they need. I wrap up our discussion by asking the student who did not receive a Band-Aid how he/she felt when I did not have one to give them. Usually, the feeling expressed is he/she felt left out and confused. Viola! It just so happens that I find "one more" Band-Aid for that student. :-) Then I further elaborate to the class how we don't want to behave in ways that might take needed help away from each other. We even make a list of different ways to "help" make sure that we help our classmates throughout the year!


These two lessons are a fun, and engaging way to help the students learn that each one is unique and has different needs to achieve academic growth and success.


One challenge I have dealt with throughout my teaching experience is keeping all students on task to be "contributing members of a group." I really like the Teacher Checklist for Group Work in Figure 4.2 page 24.  This is a great tool to assess what is to be expected from the students. Involving the students to help set goals and reflect on problem solving before the task and problems begin will allow for the students to resolve their own conflicts while working in groups together.






Chapter 4 looks at the importance of creating a classroom that supports diverse learners.

Please discuss how you would help students move from defining "fair" as treating everyone alike to defining it as making sure everyone gets what he or she needs to grow and succeed? What challenges might you face along the way? How would you address them?

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of the Band Aid lesson, but not the Dr. Seuss book. I may borrow that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of the band-aid lesson or the Dr. Seuss book. I will definitely have to try both of these ideas out. What is "fair" has been quite the challenge for me this year.

    ReplyDelete